June 12, 2006

Chives

Thank goodness, the sun has been out for 2 whole days!!

This weekend I hosted a small party for my brother and future sister-in-law. They've just moved to town so I figured a little welcoming was in order. I decided to trim all my chive flowers before they shriveled up. I found a cool recipe and made a chive cheese spread and it was REALLY good!

Here is the recipe:

8oz Goat cheese
4oz Cream Cheese
5 taplespoons chopped chives
1 clove of garlic - minced

Mix it all together and then place a sheet of plastic wrap on a table, use 12 whole chive stems to create a weave pattern, plop the cheese in the middle and lift the plastic wrap up to cover it. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours, cut off the extra "ends" and sprinkle with chive flowers (not necessary but, pretty and edible) and serve with bread or crackers!

I also used up half of my last jar of pesto from last summer. That might have been a bit rash considering how small my basil plants are right now but, you know that Vegas saying: "scared money loses." There really must be a gardener's equivalent.

P.S: I haven't seen a single slug since my dusk killing spree. Ask me if I feel guilty.

P.P.S: The election results are in and I am now a member of the Garden Steering Committee! I am so pleased...... hopefully this will mean my sink is safe!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about your adventures in the garden. As the editor of a nationally distributed gardening almanac, I'd like to know if you're interested in writing an article on gardening. I like the blogging approach, and think that something done in this style would make an informative and interesting article.
SharonL@llewellyn.com

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, cheese and chives sounds so yummy...

ps my strawberries are dunzo. what do i do now? and kevin accidently ripped up and threw away one of the peonies!

Black Eyed Susan said...

Article me? Probably.

On the strawberries - definitely don't pull them out. They're perennials and will come back and grow new plants each year. I am not sure if they'll grow more berries this season but they might.

Sorry about the peony.

Randi said...

Congrats on the steering committee. Now its time to show them the guts and glory that we all know and love. you should make yourself a steering committee shirt with a pink sink on the back.