February 14, 2007

Give me your toilet paper rolls!


I placed my order for seedlings and ended up spending the exact same amount of money as last year: $33.50. That's a pretty good deal for 66 individual plants. I actually e mailed a friend to see if she wanted to share the order since I definitely won't have room for all of it in my garden plot.

They didn't have beets so I ordered:
Tomatoes: Brandywine, Green Zebra and Pineapple (loved these last year even though I didn't get many) Sun Gold, Sweet Olive, Ciudad Victoria, Peacevine and Super Sweet 100s. I'll definitely need to narrow these down.

Eggplant: Nadia (same as last year) and Fairy Tale which are supposed to be purple with white stripes.

Basil
Parsley
Zucchini (just for the flowers so my brother can have a reason to buy a deep fryer)
Swiss Chard
and Marigolds

So I still have a lot of seeds to get: snap beans, lima beans, carrots and beets for sure! I think I have finally given up on peppers, at least for this year. I think 2 years of failure in a row means I should take a break. Perhaps this year I will really map out the whole plot and stick to the paper plan.

I also started collecting empty toilet paper rolls to ward off cut worms when I plant the seedlings. If you live in my area please feel free to save a few and hand them over next time you see me. I'm serious. I figure I'll need at least 20 or even 30 by May and I'm not quite sure how long it takes to go through TP in my house.

6 comments:

Ottawa Gardener said...

I'm embarrassed to tell you about my seeds... I keep expanding my garden by the year and therefore what I grow. I do save seed but not enough. I plan to try biennials next year. As for the fairytale eggplant, I was tempted by that but decided to try Apple Green.

Don't live close enough to give you paper rolls.

Happy gardening. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Rosengeranium said...

Heh. I always find it impossible to "narrow it down" when I buy seeds. I have a fad for the exotic that means I buy sensible stuff (like turnips and carrots) and then top the order up with things like tiger nut (almost unheard of over here) and tuberous pea.

Since I live in Sweden I can't give you my paper rolls - unless you want them with surface mail :-)

Happy gardening!

Anonymous said...

The next time you are in 'boken, we've got at least 4 for you.

Black Eyed Susan said...

Jen - just mail em!!!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you'll be pretty busy with your seedlings. I wish I had a garden big enough to be able to plant that amount of seeds. May I ask what happened to you peppers over the last 2 years?

I'm in Australia, so no can do with the toilet paper rolls, I'm afraid.

Black Eyed Susan said...

Saya - Thanks for visiting!! I'm not entirely sure what happened to my peppers but, for two years in a row they've failed. The first summer was mostly blossom-end rot. Last year there was some sort of white crystalized stuff at the base of the stem and brown streaks throughout and the peppers just never grew big.