February 6, 2007

The Long Winter


I have been gone for a long time and for those of you who got used to my weekly posts I am sorry to have left and I hope you come back to read this. All of a sudden I am panicking at all of the garden related stuff I need to do. The deadline for ordering seedlings from the women's shelter that is also an organic farm is February 10th and I haven't even looked at the list yet!! Beets though, I definitely want to grow beets.

I am still enrolled in the Master Urban Gardener Program and planning to go to all of the classes that I can this Winter but, I've already missed 2. One, I had a good excuse for and the other...well...I had been out of town a lot and had just flown home the day before. I was really intending to go but, then it was insanely cold out and I just couldn't do it. I need to get back in the habit. They sent me a nice list of all of the classes I still need to make up and almost the whole list is highlighted. I'll be taking this free, weekly, class for 4 years at this rate.

Oh and can we talk about this weather? It's finally really cold but, I am sure that all of the warm weather for so long was not good for the garden. I had planted garlic bulbs in the fall and I don't think they were supposed to have sprouted anything green until the spring but, if you walk over to my garden plot now there are these little garlic shoots coming up. That's probably bad. I have learned some things since last year though. I'll be beginning my stash of toilet paper rolls (aka: cutworm protection) shortly.

Alright well more on the weather and classes and the porch compost and the Garden Steering Committee and my seedling selections next time.

I am glad to be back.

9 comments:

Rosengeranium said...

I'm glad you're back, since I've onlye recently started to read your blog. How's the compost going?

Anonymous said...

Well, the last time I checked on it it looked like a frozen lump of dried leaves. I'm hoping that something different will happen once it warms up. Or Maybe I'll pour some hot water in there.

Thanks for stopping by malin!!

Ottawa Gardener said...

Glad to see that you are back! I look forward to reading your blog.

By the way, have you peeked at your compost lately?

earlysnowdrop said...

Welcome back. I stopped blogging a while back and then started back up. Sometimes you just have writer's block. Here's to spring!

Anonymous said...

I've got you on my RSS feed so whenever you write a post, I'll be stopping by.

Can't wait to hear what you will be planting this year.

Unknown said...

What a great idea... the organic farm/women's shelter, I mean. And nice to see you back!

Gotta Garden said...

I agree...that's wonderful to be able to purchase things you want/need and support a worthy cause at the same time!

Don't worry about your garlic shoots. I plant mine in fall and they always come up...I'd be worried if they didn't! They are tough plants. You will be so glad you planted them...yum! What kind(s) did you plant?

Black Eyed Susan said...

Gotta_Garden - I have no idea what kind of garlic I planted. I just bought some organic garden from a farm nearby. I think its "hard-neck" since the middle seemed like a pretty stiff stalk but, I'm not sure. :(

Anonymous said...

which school are you doing the master urban gaedener progam at? Sounds interesting... what makes it urban as opposed to a regular master gardener program?