July 16, 2006

dang, that's pretty


Sunday at about 9AM I was still in my PJs but, its been so hot out that I wanted to get out and water the garden while it was still sort of comfortable out. Those of you with a garden in your yard or on your porch might not have these sorts of problems (or maybe you do) but, since I have to walk half a block to get to my garden and about 46 other people could be out there, attire that won't embarrass me is something I try to think about before venturing out. I decided to go for it and of course ran into 4 other people. The people you meet while gardening cannot be ignored. You need to chat and catch up a little and see what their up to. No one seemed to look me up and down so maybe it wasn't obvious that I was in pajamas. Either that or what I normally wear gardening isn't that different.

Anyway, it was a great day to be out and I saw some reeeeeally pretty things. First, I saw a monarch butterfly and a bunch of giant bees chowing down on some purple coneflower and bee balm (gotta get some bee balm next year!) I'm thinking about sending the picture out to all the gardner's since I am on the steering committee now and building enthusiasm for the garden seems like it should be part of my job. In an urban garden setting I feel like that's sort of a "girly" thing to do. I mean, I'm a big environmentalist and I like getting dirty and I use my garden to feed myself (the more serious and noble gardening principles is what I'm thinking) but, sometimes its just the flowers and the birds and pretty sights and smells that get me.


It was very sunny when I was watering too (which I've actually heard is bad because the sun can burn holes through droplets of water on the leaves like a magnifying glass......oh brother!) The combination of the sun and the water created these fantastic rainbows everytime I sprayed the hose. Ooooooooooh. So pretty.

4 comments:

kate said...

Wow that is pretty! Makes me even want a coneflower (a plant i usually don't care for)

This is my first time visiting your blog, so i thought i would say hi!

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

Hey, neighbor! Beautiful shots of the gardens. Thansk for your comments on my blog. Where do you garden?

Black Eyed Susan said...

Xris and Kate - thanks for visiting and for the comments!

I'm in Massachusetts now. You can take the girl out of Brooklyn but....

earlysnowdrop said...

I am so jealous of you blogtographers! You get the butterfly shots! I have tried and tried but with no success. Mostly flowers with the butterfly long gone. Beautiful.